Attributes are customizable data points added to your records in Attio. An example attribute might be a record’s location, where they work, or how often they reply to your emails.
Record versus list attributes
Before creating a new attribute, consider whether it should be a record attribute or list attribute:
- Record attributes will show on every company record or person record in your workspace, and they can also be surfaced in lists
- List attributes will only show in the list where you create the attribute
If you are creating an attribute that is relevant in many lists and applies to all person records or company records in your workspace, you may want to create a record attribute. If you are creating an attribute that is only relevant to one list, you can create a list attribute.
Record attributes will appear on every person or company record in your workspace. While only admins can add or change new record attributes, any member of your team can assign values to them.
To create or edit record attributes, choose Workspace settings from the dropdown beside your workspace name in the sidebar, then navigate to Companies in the left-hand menu to create an attribute that will appear on every company record, or People to create an attribute that will appear on every person record.
Click + Create attribute to create a new attribute, choosing an attribute type, giving it a name, optionally adding a description, and setting other criteria depending on the attribute type.
From this page you can also edit, archive, or restore attributes from the ⋮ icon to the right of an attribute.
To display your record attributes in a view, click View settings followed by + Add column. Scroll down or search for your record attribute.
Attio gives each company or person record a set of built-in enriched attributes that auto-populate based on data we source about your records including:
- Contact details: description, location, and social media links
- Company details: foundation date, categories
- Communication intelligence: last contacted, connection strength, and strongest connection
- Learn more about enriched data
Note: Access to certain enriched attributes will depend on your Attio plan. Learn more about the different plans available.
Create attributes for your records in lists. Track values such as owner, priority, stage, and more.
Full access members of a list can access a dedicated attribute tab for each list. To open the attribute tab:
- Select the ⋮ icon in the top right of a list
- Select Manage attributes
From this tab you can:
- Create new attributes with + Create attribute
- Update attribute value options
- Reorder attributes with the ::: icon
- Set (optional) default values for all new records
- Archive and restore attributes
Note: The order of the attributes on this page will determine the order of attributes shown when you go to add a new record to your list.
There are several different formats for your attributes, depending on the type of data you want to track:
- Status - track which stage each record is currently in and use it in a kanban view (only available as a list attribute)
- User - track owners or assignees (usually a member of your team)
- Select and multi-select - pick from one or more color-coded options in a dropdown
- Text fillable custom text fields; can also be used for URLs
- Date and timestamp track due dates, timestamp records, or schedule follow-ups
- Number - track quantitative values such as percentages
- Currency - select your currency and track monetary values
- Checkbox - record yes or no answers by checking/unchecking a box
- Rating - add custom ratings between 1 and 5 stars
- Record - reference another person or company record as a value, such as Point of contact
Updating attribute value options
Certain attribute types like single and multi-select provide a dropdown with options to pick from so that you don’t need to manually type the value out each time (a bit like a multiple choice question in a form).
You can add as many value options as you like. You can edit option names, colors, and the order of your options. You can also use default attribute values to automatically assign a specific value to all new records with that attribute.
Note: Deleting an option will delete any input data that already exists. You won't be able to get this back.
Couldn't find something?
Send us a message in the chat on the right ✌️