Integrating your email is essential to getting the most out of Attio.
Why sync your email
View emails and optionally share them with your team
Attio brings email content and attachments to your record pages so you can easily share them with your team. You have total control over the visibility others have of your emails, and Attio defaults to keeping the bodies of emails private unless and until you choose to share them.
Automatic record creation
When you sync your email, a record is created for every person you have emailed, as well as each company they belong to. Attio automatically links people to companies when their email domain matches the company domain to create an always-up-to-date network. Learn more about automatic record creation.
All of your contacts will be created in Attio as records, and they will be automatically enriched with powerful new data points that provide a deeper understanding of your network:
- See at a glance who on your team has the strongest connection with a record, the strength of each connection, and when the first and last email were exchanged (dependent on your plan).
- Attio also automatically provides useful data points like domains, social media handles, and company descriptions. Learn more about enriched data in Attio.
Send emails in Attio
With a synced mailbox, you can send emails directly from Attio. When you mass send emails in Attio, you can make them highly personalized using variables, which make it easy to incorporate data stored in Attio into your emails. Learn more about sending emails in Attio.
Syncing a new account
When you create your Attio account, your email will not be automatically synced until you set it up to do so. Follow these steps to set up email sync:
- From the dropdown beside your workspace name, locate your Account Settings and select the Email & Calendar tab on the left
- Click Connect Account with the appropriate provider
- Authorize Attio to access and sync your email
- You can choose to also sync your calendar at the same time. Learn more about syncing your calendar.
- With default settings, records will be automatically created for all email recipients (contacts you send and respond to) found in your mailbox. Learn more about automatic record creation.
Configuring email sharing settings
Once you've connected your email account, you can choose between two baseline sharing settings, determining what others can see of your emails by default.
From Account settings, click Email and calendar accounts, and select your email account. Choose the sharing setting you prefer:
- Metadata Only only shares email participants and timestamps with members of your workspace
- Subject line and metadata shares participants, timestamps, and subject lines with members of your workspace
Email body content and attachments will remain private to you for both of these settings unless you manually grant your team members access.
Blocklisting emails and domains
Emails from blocklisted domains and email addresses will not appear in Attio. In addition, records will not be automatically created for any emails where any email address or domain involved on the thread is blocklisted.
To add emails or domains to your blocklist:
- Head to your Account Settings and click Email and Calendar accounts
- Select your email account
- Type in any domains or email accounts you'd like to blocklist in the Blocklist field
- Other members of your workspace can still access their own correspondence with email accounts and domains you blocklist, but yours will not appear in Attio
Note: If a blocklisted email or domain is included on an email, that email will not show in Attio even if other participants on the email are not blocklisted.
Automatic record creation
When you sync your email, with default settings a record is created for every person you have emailed (including people cc'd), and each company they belong to. Attio also automatically links people to companies when the person’s email domain matches the company’s domain.
If you would like Attio to also create records for people who send you emails (including when you are cc'd), even if you never send an email to them, admins can set this up by toggling off the Enhanced record creation setting in the Email and Calendar tab of Workspace settings.
Note: Toggling it back on won't have any effect on your existing records - nothing will be deleted from your workspace.
When records are created via email sync, Attio will automatically enrich them with useful data points, and when Attio recognizes that two synced people records have matching data they will automatically be merged to help reduce duplicated records in your workspace.
Removing synced accounts
To remove an account you have synced, head to your Account Settings and click Email and Calendar accounts. Select the account you'd like to remove from your workspace, and click Remove mailbox. All email correspondence will be removed from your workspace.
Note: When a synced mailbox is removed, all companies and people records created from the sync will remain in your Attio workspace. Communication intelligence (such as 'Last contacted' and 'Connection strength') will no longer include any data referring to the account you just removed.
Couldn't find something?
Send us a message in the chat on the right ✌️