Integrating your email and calendar is essential to getting the most out of Attio.
View emails and optionally share them with your team
Attio brings email content and attachments to your record pages so you can easily share them with your team. You have total control over the visibility others have of your emails, and Attio defaults to keeping the bodies of emails private unless and until you choose to share them.
Automatic record creation
When you sync your email and calendar, a record is created for every person you have emailed and each person on your calendar, as well as each company they belong to. Attio automatically links people to companies when their email domain matches the company domain to create an always-up-to-date network. Learn more about automatic record creation.
All of your contacts will be created in Attio as records, and they will be automatically enriched with powerful new data points that provide a deeper understanding of your network:
- See at a glance who on your team has the strongest connection with a record, the strength of each connection, and when email and calendar interactions took place (dependent on your plan).
- Attio also automatically provides useful data points like domains, social media handles, and company descriptions. Learn more about enriched data in Attio.
Send emails in Attio
With a synced mailbox, you can send emails directly from Attio. When you mass send emails in Attio, you can make them highly personalized using variables, which make it easy to incorporate data stored in Attio into your emails. Learn more about sending emails in Attio.
When you create your Attio account, your email and calendar will not be automatically synced until you set them up to do so. Follow these steps to set up email and calendar sync:
- From the dropdown beside your workspace name, locate your Account Settings and select the Email & Calendar tab on the left
- Click Connect Account with the appropriate provider
- Authorize Attio to access and sync your email and calendar
- Calendar events that are set as private in Google or Outlook will not sync to Attio
- If your Google Workspace administrator has restricted 3rd-party app installations, learn how to add Attio to your trusted apps.
- With default settings, records will be automatically created for all email recipients (contacts you send and respond to) found in your mailbox, and all people found on your calendar, as well as their companies. Learn more about automatic record creation.
Note: When you sync your Microsoft or Google email, you will also be able to send emails from any of your aliases in Attio.
Once you've connected your email account, you can choose between three baseline sharing settings, determining what others can see of your emails by default.
From Account settings, click Email and calendar accounts, and select your account. Under Default sharing configuration, select the setting you prefer: Metadata only, Subject line and metadata, or Full access.
This option shares email participants and timestamps with members of your workspace. Email subject lines, body content, and attachments are private to you unless you manually grant team members access.
Subject line and metadata
This option shares participants, timestamps, and subject lines with members of your workspace. Email body content and attachments are private to you unless you manually grant team members access.
This option shares all of your email content including the body, subject line, and any attachments. You can share all your emails with your whole workspace (on Plus, Pro, and Enterprise plans), or specific individuals (on Pro and Enterprise plans). Learn more about plans and pricing.
Important note: If you share Full access to your emails, there won't be a way to unshare or hide specific emails, though you can add email addresses or domains for emails you don't want to sync to Attio to your blocklist.
Also keep in mind that sharing Full access means all emails from the past and in the future (aside from your blocklist) will be shared, potentially including personal communications and emails that could allow team members to authenticate to other services (such as through password resets).
To share all your emails with all members of your workspace, choose the Full access option under Default sharing configuration. To share full access to your emails with specific individuals only, search for and add the team members under Individual email sharing, then click Share access. If you only share full access with specific individuals, your setting chosen for Default sharing configuration will apply to all other team members in your workspace.
If you have added an individual team member so that they have full access to your emails but you'd like to remove them, click the Full access toggle to the right of their name, and change it to Use workspace default.
Emails from blocklisted domains and email addresses will not appear in Attio. In addition, records will not be automatically created for any emails where any email address or domain involved on the thread is blocklisted. If a blocklisted email or domain is included on an email, that email will not show in Attio even if other participants on the email are not blocklisted.
To add emails or domains to your blocklist:
- Head to your Account Settings and click Email and Calendar accounts
- Select your email account, then click over to the Blocklist tab
- Type in any domains or email accounts you'd like to blocklist in the Blocklist field, and click Add to blocklist
- Other members of your workspace can still access their own correspondence with email accounts and domains you blocklist, but yours will not appear in Attio
Note: We recommend against adding your own domain or team members' email addresses to your blocklist. Doing so would prevent any emails involving your domain or team members from syncing to Attio from your mailbox (including when they are cc'd or others are cc'd). Attio protects the privacy of internal communications by hiding emails on record pages of team members who have an active Attio account.
When you sync your email and calendar, with default settings a record is created for every person you have emailed (including people cc'd), each person found in your calendar, and each company they belong to. Attio also automatically links people to companies when the person’s email domain matches the company’s domain.
If you would like Attio to also create records for people who send you emails (including when you are cc'd), even if you never send an email to them, admins can set this up by toggling off the Enhanced record creation setting in the Email and Calendar tab of Workspace settings.
Note: Toggling it off will not be retroactive, meaning records won't be created for emails sent to you in the past, but records will be created for people that email you going forward. Toggling it back on won't have any effect on your existing records, meaning nothing will be deleted from your workspace.
When records are created via email and calendar sync, Attio will automatically enrich them with useful data points, and when Attio recognizes that two synced people records have matching data they will automatically be merged to help reduce duplicated records in your workspace.
If you have already synced a mailbox but it has been disconnected, or you need to grant Attio additional permissions (for example, you're seeing a "No sending permissions" message), you can reconnect the mailbox.
First, head to your Account Settings and click Email and Calendar accounts. Then, select the account you need to reconnect. At the bottom left of the page, click Reconnect mailbox.
You will be taken back through the connection flow. If you are a Gmail user, on the step that says "Attio wants to access your Google Account", you should see options for which permissions you want to give Attio with checkboxes. Check the appropriate boxes and finish the flow.
If you have any trouble resolving errors with your mailbox sync, reach out to [email protected] and we will be happy to help.
To remove an account you have synced, head to your Account Settings and click Email and Calendar accounts. Select the account you'd like to remove from your workspace, and click Remove mailbox.
Please note the following implications of removing your email and calendar:
- All email correspondence associated with the synced account will be removed from your workspace
- All calendar events associated with the synced account will be removed from your workspace, including from notes. If you sync the same account in the future, you would have to link events to notes again
- All companies and people records that were created from the synced account will remain in your workspace
- Communication intelligence data (such as Last interaction and Connection strength) will no longer factor in any data from the email and calendar account
Couldn't find something?
Send us a message in the chat on the right ✌️